Search This Blog

Saturday, April 5, 2014

No Guilt Chocolate Doughnuts

I have never been a fan of doughnuts, but my husband LOVES them. Since Jamie's been back home, I'm trying to come up with new breakfast ideas that both he and Nya can enjoy together.

On my list to tackle? Doughnuts. I had been hearing amazing things about this doughnut recipe from Happy Herbivore, so I thought I would give it a try, with modifications to fit our health needs. The original recipe contains maple syrup and sugar, which I avoid in baking for my 18 month old. With over 95% of the United States sugar beet crops genetically modified, why get her started on and addicted to something that's not good for her? 

Jamie, on the other hand, is addicted to his sugar. And after eating anything but whole, healthy, foods for the past two months, I knew he would be a little more difficult to persuade.

Avoiding doughnuts and having never made my own, I was unsure where to begin. I didn't take any pictures of the process because I honestly didn't think they would come out that great on the first go around. But surprisingly, Jamie and my daughter LOVED them. (Nya eats everything I make, but Jamie is much more challenging!).  Nya gobbled up three for her snack, and according to Jamie, they had the "exact texture of a doughnut", with a "slight date aftertaste". I can't really compare, but trust his doughnut expertise. Let me know what you think!


What you need:

1 cup + 1 Tbsp Non Dairy Milk (I used cashew)

1 tsp Lemon Juice

2 tsp Pure Vanilla Extract

* 3/4 cup Medjool Dates, pitted (softened or soaked in water first)

2 cup Whole Wheat Pastry Flour

1/3 cup Raw Cacao Powder

1/2 tsp Sea Salt

1/2 tsp Baking Powder

1/2 tsp Baking Soda

1 Flax Egg (3 Tbsp Warm Water mixed with 1 Tbsp Ground Flax)

* Can sub 1/2 cup honey or pure maple syrup 

What you do:

1. In a medium mixing bowl, whisk flour, cacao, salt, baking powder, and baking soda.

2. Blend milk, lemon juice, dates, and vanilla in a high speed blender or food processor until smooth. Pour into dry ingredients and use a spatula to combine (the mixture will be very thick and seem a bit dry).

3. Add the flax egg and continue to fold the batter until incorporated.

4. Spoon into silicon doughnut pan (Made 24 mini doughnuts). The batter will be extremely thick.

5. Bake at 350 degrees for 13 minutes.

6. Serve warm, store in freezer, or if using icing....

Icing (Optional - I skipped the icing for Nya, but dunked Jamie's in it!)

*3/4 cup Medjool Dates, softened and pitted

1 Tbsp Pure Maple Syrup (Can Omit)

1 tsp Pure Vanilla Extract

1/4 cup Non Dairy Milk (I used cashew)

2 Tbsp Raw Cacao Powder (For Chocolate Icing)

* Can sub 1/2 cup powdered sugar - just be ready for a sugar crash!

Blend all ingredients in a high speed blender or food processor until smooth. Submerge cooled doughnuts in the icing and serve.

Enjoy!
Nutrition Info per Doughnut:
Calories: 77.8
Fat: 1.4 g
Saturated Fat: 0.2 g
Cholesterol: 0 mg
Sodium: 47.5 mg
Carbohydrates: 15.3 g
Fiber: 2.6 g
Sugar: 5.6 g
Protein: 1.7 g

To connect with others in this crazy journey of life, discover new parenting ideas & fun DIY projects, learn about holistic remedies, & find whole food plant based recipes, please visit our Facebook page Loving Green at Loving Green FB.

No comments:

Post a Comment