Search This Blog

Monday, October 28, 2013

Bagels for Babbies... And Mommy too!

Some people think I'm extreme.  Many call it wacky.  I call it aware. 

I'm all too aware of what is really packed into our processed foods.  Luckily I reached a point where knowing what it is and what it does to the body, makes it extremely unappetizing.  Even Cheese.  Which I NEVER thought I'd say.

Now that I have a little one, making sure she gets only the best food is more important than ever.  Especially those first couple years of life as her body is growing and developing. I want to make sure she's getting a balanced, whole foods, healthy diet that's full of variety. I wanted to reinvent food so I knew exactly what her little body was getting.  Which sent me on a mission.

Bagels. I love them.  I eat them almost every morning for breakfast and have been for years. While I mentally said to myself, "these are healthy enough for you", the thought of giving them to Nya was just not happening. And she watches EVERYTHING I do. So I needed to let one last thing go and figure something out quick. 

Now I'm not one who likes to spend a lot of time in the kitchen.  One, because I simply don't have it.  And two, there are so many other things I'd rather be doing.  And in working with breads, I knew that might be impossible.  Yet I was determined.  I began searching the internet, Pinterest, you name it.  But was not having any luck.  Until low and behold, I stumbled across a recipe for soft pretzels.  It stated, "No electric mixer required".  Sold!  This would be my starting point.

What miraculously came from this was a delicious, healthy, nutrient packed little bagel that both Nya and I LOVE.  And the best part? They take 30 minutes to make from start to finish.  This is even a great baking activity for toddlers. It's simple to make, and you can set up a topping station for them to add on their own yummies! 

Now, here's the other side of this.  I promised no sugar coating, so I'm just going to say it. 

If you are used to the traditional bagels you find in grocery stores that are full of refined flours and sugars, and offer very little benefit other than "simple carbs", these may take a little getting used to.  It's difficult at first retraining your body to eat the way it was designed to when it has lived off processed foods.  These bagels are very dense. They're heavy. They are extremely filling.  You won't want to keep eating them.  That is because of the nutritional value they offer.

This is why I am such a big advocate of starting your little ones on whole foods from the beginning.  It's much easier for them to pick up healthy eating habits from the start than it is to change them later on.  I remember the first time I had natural peanut butter over ten years ago.  After growing up with Jiffy, I thought it was horrible.  After the third time, I was hooked. 

If you want to slowly ease yourself into them, use white flour.  They will still be somewhat dense, but a little fluffier.  Not as healthy, but compared to anything you buy, they will be MUCH better for you.  Make sure not to over stir, just get everything incorporated!  Enjoy!!

Loving Green's Power Packed Bagel
Dough
1 Packet Active Dry Yeast
1.5 c Warm Water
1/4 tsp Pure Maple Syrup
1 tsp Sea Salt
1/3 c Black Chia Seed
1/3 c Flaxseed
3 c Unbleached White Whole Wheat Flour (Rice and Quinoa Flours work well here)
Flax Egg (1 tsp ground flax mixed with 3 tsp warm water)

Toppings
White Chia Seed
Oat Groats
Sunflower Seeds
Flax Seeds
Caraway Seed
Coarse Sea Salt
Whatever your heart desires!

1.  First make your flax egg.  Heat 3 tsp water and add 1 tsp of ground flax.  Mix together and set aside to thicken.

2.  Heat 1.5 c of water and add one packet of active dry yeast.  Stir until dissolved and let sit for two minutes.

Yeast with warm water
3.  Add 1/4 tsp of pure maple syrup and 1 tsp sea salt to the mix.  Stir, and again let sit for two minutes.

4.  Next add 2 cups of your flour, and stir. This thickens it just enough so you can work easily with it.

5.  Add the chia and flax seeds to the mix and stir.  If you don't have one or both, that's ok!  But both seeds provide a lot of nutrients such as your Omegas, and are cheap and easy to find.

6.  Add the remaining flour and mix with hands.  A little gooey but you've got to just get in there to incorporate it all.  You want the dough to be able to handle well, not sticking to your hands.  If you need, add more flour.

Mixed by hand.  This is the consistency you want.

7.  Let the dough sit for two minutes, then knead a bit.  Now your ready to form your bagel!

8.  Separate into 5 pieces and form into a ball.  Pull a bit to create hole in center and shape as a bagel.  (You don't have to do this if you don't want to...Any shape works!)

9.  Remember the flax egg?  stir it again and notice it is much thicker and has the consistency of an actual egg.  Just without all the cholesterol!  Use a pastry brush to apply to the top and side of your bagels.  You only need a thin coating.

Flax egg after sitting a few minutes

10.  Now it's time for your toppings!  This would be a great time for all of you out there with toddlers to let them add their own favorite treats.  Be creative!  My must haves are the toppings I listed above.  Seems like a lot but I manage to pack them all on.  :-)

Ready for the oven!

11.  Bake for 14 minutes at 425.  Enjoy!



I love mine with avocado and tomato!

I started giving these to Nya around 9 months, after she had steadily been eating solid (no purees) veggies, fruit, and legumes for two months.  She started with 1/4 of a bagel in one sitting, and now eats half.  For healthy fats and protein, add natural nut butter, hummus, or avocado.  Or if you will be out running errands, the plain bagel is great to fill them up without the mess.  Add some fruit and you have a complete meal for your little one!

Nutrition Info Per Bagel:
Calories: 364
Fat: 7.4 g
Saturated Fat: 0.4 g
Protein: 14 g
Carbs: 66 g
Fiber: 11.4 g
Sugar: 0.4 g
Sodium: 100 mg
(FDA allows companies to list 0 for anything less than 1)

To find more recipes, discuss parenting challenges, and more,
visit our Facebook page, Loving Green at Loving Green FB

 




2 comments:

  1. These look great and sound really healthy. Is there another option for wheat flour?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I just made my last batch combining quinoa and oat flours because I was all out of wheat. Quinoa is very light, and it made the bagel more airy. My little one ate it up just the same but I prefer the denser ones with wheat. Chickpea flour would be another great one to experiment with!

    ReplyDelete