Search This Blog

Tuesday, November 19, 2013

The Wonderful World of Teething

Nya didn't get her first tooth until a week  before she turned one.  She began the teething process around three months, and I was sure she would be getting her first around the time she was five or six months.  But that didn't happen.  The incessant drooling and need for objects in her mouth lasted for a solid 5 months, and slowly tapered away, without a tooth in sight.

Every now and then the teething symptoms would appear heightened and I would think, "She has got to be getting a tooth this time."  But it was always to no avail.  

When she was just over eleven months, while bathing her one night, I saw six pops of white teeth just waiting to break through.  6!  Yet the next day they were all gone, and just the teething symptoms remained.  You've got to be kidding me?  I thought this was torture for my poor baby (and myself!) and just wanted those suckers to poke through already.  Finally, just before her first birthday, her very first tooth popped through.  And it was a top one.  Go figure.

Her behavior was noticeably different, understandably so, yet wasn't exactly what I was preparing myself for.  While I did think it could be her teeth getting ready to pop, I had been wrong before.  Within a week of getting her first tooth, 3 more broke through, and then two more after that. 

The first one was the hardest.  I don't know if it actually was tougher for Nya, or if it just seemed that way because I wasn't ready for it like I was the others.  After the first tooth, I was able to recognize the change in her behavior due to teething, and I allowed certain things that I wouldn't otherwise.

About three days before her first tooth actually popped through, she was sleeping an extra 1 - 2 hours at night (averaging 13 - 14 hours), and became very clingy to me during the day. I had to be around her most of the day, and she would fuss if I wasn't.  The afternoons were the hardest.  I think she must have been tired from battling the discomfort all day and she flat out cried if I wasn't holding her. Falling asleep was also a little more challenging and it took her about fifteen minutes to finally get there.  And her usually hearty appetite had drastically declined; instead she wanted milk or just to nurse.

In our family we always seek out natural remedies for healing.  Pain and discomfort are your body's way of letting you know something within is out of balance.  Medication, even if over the counter, just masks the symptoms, and does not actually solve the problem.  But can instead create additional ones.  Now I understand teething is a little different, and no one wants to see their baby in pain.  We have Hyland's teething tablets (a natural homeopathic) on hand for dire situations.  But for the most part, Nya toughs it out.  Here are some things that help her get through the discomfort associated with teething:

Raw cold carrot (the largest I can find, washed and peeled)
Raw cold sweet potato wedge (washed, thick, peeled)
Popsicles (Made from berries, kale, spinach, flax, chia, and coconut water) - She loves these!
Yonanas Ice Cream
Wet washcloth
Bottle Nipple
Nursing
Extra holding and comfort
Distraction - playing and showing her new things during the day to keep her mind off teething pain
Pure Lavender and Chamomile Essential Oils - I will put a couple drops of these in her crib for the nights that are more difficult


Enjoying her popsicle

Since teething only lasts a couple days for Nya, I give in to these methods first, and will gladly give her a bottle of milk (I know most people will say she should been weaned from a bottle by 12 months...She only gets them during this time because I would rather her have a bottle than medication).  And I absolutely hold her in the afternoons, which may be difficult for working parents who don't have the option. 

Here are additional links to natural remedies for teething pain:

 

Teething is a very uncomfortable time for baby, and can be particularly stressful for the caregiver as well.  Paying close attention to changes in your baby's behavior can help make teething time a little more manageable.  Please note, I am not a doctor nor expert in this matter.  I'm simply sharing  Nya's journey with you and what has helped her through.  Every baby is different, so find what works for yours!  And please feel free to share any natural remedies you've discovered that have helped!


To connect with others and share in all the joys, struggles, and adventures of parenting, please visit our Facebook page Loving Green at Loving Green FB.

2 comments:

  1. I am always trying to find natural ways to heal my baby through troubling times...especially teething! I agree with you, it's easier once that first tooth pops through because you know what to look for. Changes are often subtle so more difficult for parents that aren't around their child all day. And sometimes just that little extra love goes along way! I can't wait to try the essential oils!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for your comment! It does make it easier to notice those subtle changes when you're home with them. I agree, cuddling does make everything better... For her and me! :-) Good luck with the essential oils; make sure to look for 100% pure!

    ReplyDelete