Search This Blog

Thursday, March 6, 2014

Healthy Eating - 6 Tips for Saving Time & Money

Eating healthy, whole foods while managing a family is challenging. I've received many messages from readers asking for tricks and tips on preparing whole food meals and getting through the week on a tight budget, while not spending your day away in the kitchen or grocery store.

I've never been one who likes to spend a lot of time cooking. I enjoy it to a degree, but can think of a million other things I need or would like to be doing. So slaving away in the kitchen preparing healthy meals, just isn't an option.

So below are a few tips and tricks to saving money, and managing time, while still enjoying healthy meals!

6 Tips for Saving Time and Money

1. Set a Food Budget

A few months ago, after contemplating our bills, debt, and future goals, my husband and I decided to set a strict budget for our family. By setting a budget for food, it has forced me to meal plan and be more mindful of what we are purchasing. We set a budget for every two weeks, and I usually only grocery shop twice a month (unless I have to make a run for those emergencies situations). During summer months when more fresh produce is available, I usually make a weekly run. 

2. Meal Plan

I don't always like doing this, but it ends up saving me so much time during the week. We all have those days where something unexpected comes up, and the last thing you have time for is shopping and figuring out a meal to make. Planning ahead alleviates the headaches and guess work, as well as providing you more time to do the things you enjoy doing. And by planning ahead, it means less grocery runs!

My husband and I meal plan for two weeks (to accommodate the budget and 1 trip to the market), with about 4 meals a week set. The other 3 days each week I leave for open nights when I'm in a hurry, craving something, or need to use up fresh veggies. This helps save money because we buy strictly what we need, and creatively use up food we have for the other nights.

3. Buy In Bulk 

This seems costly at first, and it can be. But over time, stocking up your pantry and freezer with staple items that you use on a regular basis (that provide many uses and will not go rancid) will save you tremendously in the long run. And most bulk items you can order online, so you save trips to the store!

You can buy many organic vegetables at great cost that are already frozen, or buy fresh in season, and freeze it yourself. This provides you with numerous options when it comes to meal planning. Many frozen fruits and veggies are picked at the optimal time and frozen immediately to maintain their nutrients; whereas many fresh produce (if not local) is picked before they are ripe, which gives them less time to develop a full spectrum of vitamins and minerals. They will never have the same nutritive value as they would if they were allowed to fully ripen before being picked, and transport time exposes "fresh" produce to lots of heat and light which degrade many of the nutrients. Another benefit to having frozen fruits and veggies? It cuts your prep time in half when meal time rolls around!

4. Make Extra

I almost ALWAYS double my recipes so we have lunches for a couple days. I also store half immediately in the freezer to use as a later meal. My husband is not a huge leftover fan, so I take it out the night before, put it in a pot, and "recook" it for dinner another night. Somehow, even though he knows it's technically "leftover", it tricks his brain into thinking it's a fresh meal. If the meal happens to be soup, all I have to do is make bread or a large salad for the night and I'm done. Super easy and comes in handy on those nights that I don't feel like cooking. 

I also keep numerous snacks and breakfast items on hand in the freezer (especially for my toddler). Spending one or two nights every few weeks preparing them (I can puree dates for 3 recipes all at once) saves me a lot of time while providing variety. This is extremely helpful on the days when we will be out and about.

5. Buy Local & On Sale

When I do my grocery shopping, I stick to my list but get a few items (usually fresh produce) that are locally grown and on sale for the open night meals. This helps support the local farmers while preventing things from getting too boring and strict in the kitchen. It also gives you and your family the opportunity to try something new.

6. Look for Quick & Easy Recipes

Find recipes that don't require a ton of ingredients, yet are still packed with flavor and nutrients. The fewer ingredients, the less money you have to spend on items (especially when trying new dishes that you're not sure if the family will like). And the easier the meal, the less time you will spend cooking the meal. One and two pot meals are the easiest way to save time. The less you have to clean, the more time you have for other things.

All of the recipes I share, are ones that I feel are the most nutritious, simplest, and cost effective, without sacrificing taste. The fewer ingredients and pans, the better. Make sure to check them out if you haven't already! And stay tuned for the follow up blog that shares staple items I always have on hand, where to get them, their many uses, and much more!

To connect with others in this crazy journey of life, discover new parenting ideas & fun DIY projects, learn about holistic remedies, & find whole food plant based recipes, please visit our Facebook page Loving Green at Loving Green FB.

No comments:

Post a Comment