Search This Blog

Monday, March 3, 2014

Here, There, and Everywhere...

I was already having a crappy afternoon, which turned into a crapful night...literally.

The warm, sunny morning quickly turned into a dark, rainy, and freezing afternoon. My mom was in town from California for the weekend, and I just dropped her off at the airport a little while ago. Jamie, my husband, is still away training. My family is all the way across the country. I was just feeling sad and lonely.

As I was washing dishes and preparing dinner this afternoon, I watched my daughter run around the living room squealing in delight. Pandora was playing in the background, and Love Viligantes by Iron & Wine  (a song that Jamie would play all the time for Nya and me) came on, that just left me feeling melancholy and reflecting on life.

As I listened to the words of the song, I decided I wanted to write tonight about raising a child solo... How children change so much during this young age, and accomplish so many incredible milestones. It's the greatest gift in the world to be able to be home with Nya, raise her, and see all of these miracles happening every day. But I also so badly wish Jamie and my family could be here to enjoy all of these moments with us.

When the song ended, I decided to shift my attitude and appreciate this moment that I was given. Nya and I giggled and enjoyed the rest of our night, and I let go of the "raising Nya alone" feeling....until bath time.

Half way through her bath (that she was taking in my nice, big, whirlpool tub), I saw the face. 

Ironically, this has been Nya's favorite book as of late.

"Do you need to go poo poo?" I asked her.

She said yes, so I began draining the tub and pulled her out as quickly as I could to set her on the potty. Unfortunately, I was just a tad too late.

Now I realize I'm a mom, and I should be used to this sort of stuff by now, but let's be honest... Do you ever really get used to poop outside a diaper? I don't think so.

I, of course, didn't want Nya to feel bad or to make a big deal about the situation. So I explained that we poo poo on the potty as I sat her on the big girl toilet and let her finish.

Or so I thought...

I got her cleaned up and immediately went to work cleaning the tub out. Not even 3 minutes later, she comes walking into the bathroom, with something on her hands and feet.

That can't be what I think it is. I'm racking my brain to come up with a logical reason as to why she would have chocolate on her hands and feet. Because, really, it had to be chocolate, right?

I was mortified. Did I somehow miss this? My mind was racing and I was freaking out that I could have somehow let her go without cleaning her properly.

And then reality sank in, and my stomach nearly dropped.

After getting Nya cleaned up again, I walked out of the bathroom to investigate.

I followed the trail that led from the bathroom door, across my bedroom, out the door, and down the hall....

Why did my mom have to leave today??? 

Why can't Jamie be here for these moments???

Why am I alone, cleaning up poop all over the house when I'm supposed to be relaxing???

So needless to say, my carpet received a thorough cleaning tonight, and I am sitting here writing about poop.

Having a child humbles you. You do things you wouldn't dream of doing for anyone else. And while you do the things that repulse you the most, you can't help but laugh and realize... this is life.

To connect with others in this crazy journey called life, discover new parenting ideas and fun DIY projects, learn about holistic remedies, and find whole food plant based recipes, please visit our Facebook page Loving Green at Loving Green FB.

2 comments:

  1. Alicia,
    I am a friend of your Mom's from high school and I just wanted to let you know I laughed until tears were rolling down my face from your blog today. I don't have children, but I now have an 87 year old Mom with Alzheimer's and I have experienced much the same situations with poop and her. Poop is poop, no matter what the age! And laughter is the only way we can stay sane through the raising of a child or the caring of an elderly parent. Thank you for sharing your story and feelings...but most of all thanks for the laughter.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Cassie, Thank you for your comment! I almost didn't post this because I was worried how people would react to it... Who really wants to hear about poop, right? I couldn't help but laugh at it all, and I agree it is the best way to get through any situation. Bless your heart for taking care of your mother... I can only imagine how difficult that is.

      Delete