Search This Blog

Wednesday, December 18, 2013

Feel Good Cheese Sauce

One day I was craving a baked potato with cheese.  Rarely do I ever crave cheese since giving it up over a year ago (I know, a crazy thought if you're a cheese lover!), but today I just had to have it.  So what was I to do?

I've been experimenting awhile now with different whole foods, and figured I could whip up something that would satisfy my craving for the creamy hot "feel good" cheese.  And after a few attempts, I managed to get it exactly right. 

I use this cheese sauce for creating multiple recipes.  It's ideal to mix with pasta to create the beloved mac n cheese dish, which I happily serve up to my daughter, or poured over steamed veggies. No need to worry about loads of saturated fat, cholesterol, and hormones leaking in this cheese.  It's healthy and satisfying without the addiction.

So here we go....

What you need:

1/2 cup rice milk (or any plain plant milk)
1/2 cup raw cashews
8 ounces non GMO firm tofu (1/2 of one block)
3 cloves garlic
1/2 teaspoon turmeric
1 Tbsp nutritional yeast flakes (optional - I've made without and it tastes great!)
Salt and Pepper to taste

What you do:

1.  Combine all ingredients in a high speed blender or food processor.  Puree until smooth.  You may need to add additional milk to thin it out.  (Makes about 3 cups).

2.  Transfer the cheese mixture to a small pot and cook over low heat to warm.  (Just a couple minutes).  It may begin to thicken slightly so just add more milk to reach your desired consistency. 

3.  Enjoy!

Baked Potato with "Cheese" Sauce and Steamed Green Beans

Nutrition Info:
1/2 Cup Feel Good Cheese Sauce
vs.
1/2 Cup Velveeta Cheese Sauce
148
Calories
360
9.7 g 
Fat
30 g
1.5 g
Saturated Fat
8 g
13.3 mg
Sodium
2280mg
0 mg
Cholesterol
50 mg
8.5 g
Carbohydrates
10 g
1.8 g
Fiber
0 g
1.3 g
Sugars
10 g
8.4 g
Protein
14 g


I've had readers ask if there is an alternative to tofu...

Yes.  I have experimented a few different ways and there are other options that do work and taste great, although, in my opinion, not completely spot on for cheese sauce. 

Here are some ideas for substituting 8 ounces of tofu:

1/2 head of cooked cauliflower
3/4 cup raw cashews
3/4 cup raw walnuts (soaked overnight first)
1 cup cooked white beans
1/2 cup cooked chickpeas + 1/4 cup cashews

To find more whole food, plant based recipes for your little one and connect with other loving parents, visit our Facebook page Loving Green at Loving Green FB.
 
 




2 comments:

  1. Great recipe for getting that "cheese fix"! Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, every once in awhile that cheese craving sets in. This definitely does the trick for me. :-) Hope you enjoy it!

      Delete