Search This Blog

Saturday, December 21, 2013

Sundried Tomato Basil Cashew Cheese Spread

Before giving up dairy over a year ago, I was a cheese lover.  I mean, really, I couldn't get enough. After having my daughter and learning more about the harmful impact dairy has on our bodies (not to mention what the poor animals endure), I knew I would be busy recreating cheese dishes that were healthy for both my daughter and myself. 

I'm not into vegan cheeses you can buy at the store because many contain casein (which is protein derived from cows milk that researchers have discovered promotes cancer growth), and they really aren't that much healthier for you.  Creating your own is actually easier than you think, and the result is to die for (figuratively, not literally!).  If you are or were a cheese lover like myself, than cashews will quickly become your new best friend.  They provide the rich, creamy base for many homemade vegan cheeses.  I use them to create alfredo sauces, cheese filling in lasagna, and creamy spreads for crackers and bread.  They are also my first choice in creating homemade nut milk for my daughter because it's one of the only nuts that doesn't have to be strained through a cheese cloth. (More on that later!).

Now before you look at the recipe and think, "I don't like sun dried tomatoes in my cheese, and basil??"  I thought the same thing.  But keep an open mind.  I promise, you will love this.  And make sure not to skip on one, because it just doesn't come together quite as well. 

What you need:

2 cups Raw Cashews, soaked for a few hours first
2 cloves Garlic
Juice of One Lemon
1 Tbsp of Apple Cider Vinegar
1/2 tsp Sea Salt
1/2 cup Fresh Basil
1/4 cup Sun Dried Tomatoes

What you do:

1.  Blend cashews, lemon, apple cider, garlic, and sea salt in a high speed blender or food processor until smooth.

2.  Add sun dried tomatoes and basil and pulse until chopped and incorporated (I like to have it slightly chunky).

3.  Store in an air tight container and keep refrigerated.  Can eat immediately, but will be slightly warm, very creamy, and easily spreadable.  If you let it set in fridge for a few hours, it thickens a bit and the flavors combine better, but it's harder to spread. But both are delicious!

Enjoy!
 
 
 
Nutrition Info Per 2 Tablespoons:
Calories: 130
Fat: 9.8 g
Saturated Fat: 1.7 g
Cholesterol: 0 mg
Sodium: 53 mg
Carbohydrates: 8 g
Fiber: 1 g
Sugars: 1.7 g
Protein: 4.2 g
 
To find more whole food, plant based recipes for your little one and connect with other loving parents, visit our Facebook page Loving Green at Loving Green FB.
 

4 comments:

  1. I can't wait to try this!

    ReplyDelete
  2. That sounds great, I love sun dried tomatoes and basil!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's a great combo. Let me know how it runs out for you!

      Delete