Search This Blog

Friday, December 6, 2013

Homemade Jam...It's easier than you think!

I had always wanted to tackle homemade jam.  Yet somewhere, I became fearful of it.  I imagined it to be this long arduous process that I just wasn't ready for.  I love peanut butter and jelly sandwiches but couldn't find a fruit spread that met my standards (as far as ingredients...many tasted delish, but that was not the issue!).  So for the past couple years, I have gone without.  Sigh.

Now since I have a daughter of my own, I couldn't let her grow up without experiencing the wonderful deliciousness of a PB and J.  So the fear of making jam crept into my mind once again, yet I decided to just dive right in and give this a shot. 

I began searching online for recipes, and as I feared, they all called for sugar...lots of it.  Some I found used honey or maple syrup as a replacement.  Not bad, I thought.  Yet it's still not ideal.  My first choice for my daughter is and always has been real, whole foods.  And that's when it hit me.  Why not use dates?

So here is the 3 ingredient recipe I whipped up.  Whatever fruit of your choice is the base for flavor.  Dates are used as a sweetener, and the chia seed is used as a thickening agent that provides many beneficial nutrients including Omega-3s, fiber, and protein.  It was so much easier than I imagined and actually tasted delicious.  So far, I have made strawberry and blueberry, and while both are great, my husband and daughter prefer the strawberry best.  This recipe can be adapted with any fruit you choose.
 
Homemade Jam

Here's What You Need:

2 cups frozen or fresh fruit
*4 pitted dates
2 1/2 Tbsp White Chia seed

Here's What You Do:

1.  Combine dates and fruit in a saucepan over medium heat and cook down until very soft (roughly 15 minutes, slightly more if frozen).

2.  Transfer fruit/date mixture and process in food processor for a smooth jam (if you like your jam with chunks of fruit, skip this part.  Instead, mash fruit and dates with hand masher and continue to step 3). 

3. Transfer mixture back into saucepan and add chia seed.  Stir, cover, and let simmer on low for about 15 minutes or until it reaches the thickness you like.

4.  Pour into an eight ounce mason jar and store in fridge. 

* If you prefer your jam a little more on the tart side, only use 2 dates.

As I bottled up my first batch, I wondered... What I was so afraid of?  Enjoy!

Blueberry jam on homemade bread
The nutrition info below is based off my strawberry jam.  Below that is the nutrition info for dates and chia only, so you can calculate your own fruit jam for those that are interested. 

Nutrition Info per Tablespoon:
(Based on Strawberry Jam)
Calories: 33
Fat: 0.7 g
Saturated Fat: 0
Protein: 0.5 g
Carbohydrates: 7 g
Fiber: 1.6 g
Sugar: 5 g
Sodium: 0.5 mg
 
To figure out the nutrition info per tablespoon for your fruit spread, first find all the nutrition info for the fruit you use (2 cups worth).  Next, divide your totals by 16 and add these to the totals listed below.  Your nutrition info will be a rough estimate.
 
Nutrition Info per Tablespoon:
(Dates and Chia ONLY)
Calories: 27
Fat: 0.7 g
Saturated Fat: 0
Protein: 0.4 g
Carbohydrates: 5.4 g
Fiber: 1.3 g
Sugar: 4 g
Sodium: 0.4 mg

To find more whole food, plant based recipes for your little one and connect with other loving parents, visit our Facebook page Loving Green at Loving Green FB.

 

2 comments:

  1. This sounds wonderful! Easy, healthy and yummy!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! I hope you give it a try and enjoy it as much as we do! :-)

      Delete