Search This Blog

Friday, January 3, 2014

Black-Eyed Pea and Quinoa Chili

I hate to admit this, but I've never made chili before. Why, I  have no idea. I've enjoyed eating many, but that's where our relationship ended.

I wanted to use up some black-eyed peas I had on hand, and found inspiration from Susan at FatFreeVegan. (She has some amazing recipes and great info.  Definitely check it out if you get a chance!)  Black-eyed peas are beneficial to your diet because of their high fiber, potassium, protein, and iron content, while considerably low in fat and calories. 

Black-Eyed Peas soaked overnight and drained
This is where the original recipe came from, and I made modifications to suit my preferences.  The ending result was incredible.  I added extra quinoa to my 15 month old's serving to absorb some of the seasonings.  My husband, who prides himself on his chili making skills, was even impressed by it and took notes to revamp his special recipe.  This completely hits the spot for those cold, dreary days we've been having, and it wasn't hard to make.  Best of all, you can modify it to fit your preferences. 

So let's get to it!

What you need:

2 Large Onions, Chopped
1 Large Red Bell Pepper, Chopped
1 Large Green Bell Pepper, Chopped
15 Cloves of Garlic, Minced (seems a lot, but it gives great flavor...and I LOVE garlic)
1 Pound Dried Black-Eyed Peas, soaked overnight and drained
6.5 cups Liquid  (I used 4 cups vegetable broth and 2 cups water)
4 Tbsp Chili Powder
2 tsp Cumin
2 tsp Paprika
1/4 tsp Red Pepper Flakes
Dash of Cayenne Pepper
2 15-ounce Cans of Diced Tomatoes (include juice)
1 cup Uncooked Quinoa
*2 Tbsp Chia Seed
Salt and Pepper to taste

* Why chia?  I was organizing my pantry, consolidating my chia seed, and I just couldn't fit it all into one container.  I had about 2 Tbsp leftover that I couldn't possibly throw out.  As I looked around trying to come up with something, I saw my pot of chili cooking on the stove... Why not?  So that's how I ended up with chia seed in my chili. It absorbed some of the liquid to help create a thickened version.  Plus it provided extra fiber, calcium, antioxidants, Omega-3 fatty acids, and extra protein. You absolutely can skip this though if you don't have on hand or simply don't want to use.

Modifications:

Add corn or other veggies
Add other beans or lentils 
May have to add additional broth or water and cut back on quinoa

What you do:

1.  Heat a large pot with a tiny amount of broth or water.  Add the chopped onions and cook roughly 5 minutes or until soft, adding more liquid if needed.  (Remember to save your scrap in a freezer bag to make your own veggie stock later!)

Onion
2.  Add bell peppers and garlic, and cook for another 3 minutes. (I like to soak mine in a vinegar bath first.)

Peppers soaking in Vinegar Bath

Peppers, Onions, and Garlic
3.  Add black-eyed peas, remaining liquid, all spices, and canned tomatoes.  Bring to a boil and cook for 5 minutes.  Reduce the heat to low, cover, and simmer for 90 minutes, or until peas are tender. 


4.  When peas are tender, add quinoa and continue cooking until quinoa is fully cooked (it will look like it has sprouted little tails.  See what it should look like here.)  If the chili seems to soupy, uncover pot and cook. Add Chia seed now if using.  Makes about 8 servings.

Adding Uncooked Quinoa
I haven't tried it yet, but this recipe would probably work well in the pressure cooker or crock pot.  If you try either of these, please let me know how it works for you. 

Enjoy!
Yummy Black-Eyed Pea and Quinoa Chili
Nutrition Info Per Serving:
Calories: 195
Fat: 2.6 g
Saturated Fat: 0.2 g
Cholesterol: 0 mg
Sodium: 157 mg (can lower by using fresh tomatoes instead of canned)
Carbohydrates: 39 g
Fiber: 7.5 g
Sugars: 7.6 g
Protein: 6.1 g

To connect with others, find healthy whole food recipes, and share in this journey called life, please visit our Facebook page, Loving Green, at Loving Green FB.

2 comments:

  1. I like the use of Black eyed Peas in this - it sounds yummy!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This is the best chili I've tasted.. We love it! And I would never have thought to put black-eyed peas, but they make a great addition. Hope you enjoy it as much as we do!

      Delete