Search This Blog

Thursday, January 30, 2014

Creamy Fire Roasted Tomato Soup

I had been in a soup slump for a few months.  I just wasn't feeling creative enough to attempt something new, and I was bored with all the veteran ones that have made their way through my kitchen too many times to count.  Since making my Cream of Broccoli Soup a few weeks ago, I have been re-inspired, and have been on a soup kick ever since.

When a friend mentioned having tomato soup the other night, I immediately thought...Yum, there' my next soup!  And so the soup experimenting continued...

Creamy Fire Roasted Tomato Soup served with Grilled "Cheese"

This soup by far exceeded my expectations.  I'm not, and have never been a fan of the plain tomato soup that you get from a can; the ones with no texture and taste like pure tomatoes.  So if that's what you're looking for, this is not it.  This is full of texture, flavor, and creaminess.

I was also a little worried how Nya would take to this, but she gobbled hers up in no time, and even dipped her grilled "cheese" into it. This soup was a total hit in our house, and I hope you find it to be in yours too!

What you need:

1 Large Onion, peeled and chopped
5 Cloves Garlic, chopped (I would have added more if I hadn't ran out!)
3 cans Fire Roasted Tomatoes (I use these)
1 cup Raw Cashews
1/4 cup Pine Nuts (Can omit or use cashews instead)
6 - 8 cups Veggie Broth (Can use water or combination of broth/water, just amp up spices)
1 tsp Red Pepper Flakes
1 Tbsp Dried Basil (1/2 cup fresh)
2 tsp Dried Oregano (1/4 cup fresh)
1 Tbsp Garlic Powder (I would have just used more fresh garlic)
Salt and Pepper to Taste

What you do:

1.  Saute onion and garlic in water or veggie broth until translucent.  Add 1.5 cans of tomatoes, red pepper flakes, dried basil, dried oregano, and garlic powder, and cook on low heat for 10 minutes. (If using fresh herbs, don't add them here.)

Tomatoes and spices added to garlic and onion

2.  In a high speed blender, combine cashews, pine nuts, and tomato mixture (along with fresh herbs if using), and blend until smooth.

3.  Pour mixture into large pot and heat on low.  Slowly add veggie broth until reaching desired consistency. Then add remaining tomatoes.  Cook on low heat, stirring to incorporate, and serve.  Makes 6 large servings.

Creamy Fire Roasted Tomato Soup

Notes:

The high fat is due to the cashews, which are naturally high in healthy fats, plus an abundant of other vitamins, minerals, and protein.  You want this kind of fat in  your diet to help you reach the feeling of satisfaction and fullness.

You can blend all tomatoes in high speed blender if you prefer a smooth soup.  I left some out to give texture.

The more garlic, the more flavor...don't be afraid of it.  I would have added MUCH more if I had it.

If you want this soup spicy, add more red pepper flakes.

To cut back on the sodium and sugar, use fresh tomatoes.  You can roast them on the grill, or bake in the oven at 425 for 8 - 10 minutes (or until charred slightly).  I should be doing this, but have fallen into the convenient and cheaper trap of buying the cans.  Not the best option, but it works for our family for now.

Chopped Red Peppers would be great in this soup.  And if I had some on hand, I probably would have thrown them in.  You can roast them, cook them in step 1, and blend in step 2.  Or, add them in step 3 and leave them chunky to give more texture.

Enjoy!

Nutrition Info per Serving:
Calories: 305
Fat: 19 g
Saturated Fat: 3 g
Cholesterol: 0 mg
Sodium: 305 mg
Carbohydrates: 24 g
Fiber: 3.4 g
Sugars: 7.9 g
Protein: 9.4 g

To connect with others, find healthy whole food recipes, and share in this journey called life, please visit our Facebook page, Loving Green, at Loving Green FB.

No comments:

Post a Comment