Search This Blog

Wednesday, January 8, 2014

Who Says There's No Crying Over Spilled Milk?

What a day I had yesterday.  I know you've been there.  We've all been there.  And we will certainly be there again.

First off, I was beyond tired and I didn't feel well. (Not getting enough rest over a prolonged period combined with stress - no matter how healthy you eat - will do that to you!)

I was having difficulty managing just about everything I set forth to accomplish.  And with a crazy little toddler running around and jabbering nonstop, I just couldn't keep up.  I even tried to encourage TV watching to help parent since I was majorly lacking.  Unfortunately my daughter isn't a huge fan yet, so that brilliant idea went out the window in a hurry.

Everything I tried to do, just would not go smoothly.  And when I say things didn't go smoothly, I mean they really just didn't.  Oh, and did I mention it was 15 degrees outside so we were stuck inside the ENTIRE DAY?

After breakfast and Nya was settled, I vacuumed the entire downstairs as I do every morning, because it is absolutely necessary to do on a regular basis with a German Shepherd in the house.  The morning had already been going pretty rough (and I'm not much of a morning person to begin with).

Next, I set off to make a batch of bagels when I spilled chia seed all over the floor.  Which of course needed vacuuming.

Then, there was the milk.

I just finished making a fresh glass of cashew milk for Nya (more milk info coming soon!) when I spilled it ALL OVER the cabinets, stove, and floor.  And it didn't stop there...  It had spilled into the drawers where I keep the utensils... covering them.  Into the cabinets where I kept the pots and pans... covering them. Into the bottom drawer of the stove where the baking sheets are kept... covering them.  How on earth 10 ounces of milk was able to cover that much space, I have no idea.  But it did.


This all required major cleaning. Which Nya eagerly helped with.

Next, came Nya's food, as she carried it into the kitchen...spilling all across the floor.  And of course I have the only dog on the planet that will not clean up human food.

That needed vacuuming and mopping...Again.

During Nya's nap, I was on the phone taking care of house stuff (we're selling!) and finances.  I was on hold for just about Nya's entire nap.  Wonderful.  So the hour I usually am able to start dinner and get some work done, went by without anything being accomplished.

And did I mention I was tired??

While eating her afternoon snack, a glass containing small pebbles fell over and shattered across the kitchen island, Nya's high chair, and the floor.  (Nya wasn't near this thank goodness).  But she certainly did come running when she heard it!  This required the vacuum....yet again.

It's now 4 o'clock.  We've been stuck inside all day.  I haven't begun dinner and cannot even think clearly enough to figure out what I am supposed to be making to eat in the next 60 minutes.

I just received a pressure cooker for Christmas and still am not very well versed in it.  So wouldn't  you know, the instruction booklet is nowhere to be found.  But out it comes, and in everything goes. After a solid 30 minutes of fumbling with the lid, and just before I set forth to chuck it across the room, it fit snugly into place and I started the pressure. (Luckily dinner turned out delicious).

After dinner, in which my husband is still not home, Nya and I head upstairs for her bath.  My spirits start to lift as I begin to see the light at the end of the tunnel...bed time.

As my little bare bottomed wild child ran around her room after her bath, she stopped next to her crib and peed ALL OVER.  She pointed to it, burst into giggles, then continued running.

I couldn't help but smile, and began giggling myself.  Through this chaotic, uncontrollable day, I'm thankful. I'm thankful for having a wild, funny, kind, smart little girl whom I love more than anything.  She reminds me that life is short, to remain in the present moment, and not sweat the small stuff....

....Even when that small stuff hits you in the face like a ton of bricks over

and over

and over again.



PS...So after Nya went to bed and my husband finally came home, I decided to kick my feet up and enjoy some dessert.  It was needed.  I made these ooey gooey fudgy bars, and they totally hit the spot!

Ooey Gooey Fudgy Bars


To connect with others, find heatlhy, whole food recipes, and share in this wonderful journey called parenthood, please visit our Facebook page, Loving Green, at Loving Green FB.

No comments:

Post a Comment