Search This Blog

Wednesday, January 29, 2014

The Tale of The Picky Eating Toddler

Sometimes I want to rip my hair out when Nya does not want to eat anything I just made her. Especially when I've been slaving (or at least it feels that way) to come up with a nutritiously tasty, and balanced meal.

Nya's a very healthy eater, but goes through spurts of loving something one day, and wanting nothing to do with it the next.  Every day I find it just a little bit trickier, and when I look back to the early days of feeding, those seem like a piece of cake in comparison.

So how do I make sure she eats a healthy, whole food, and balanced diet?  

In order to continue to get enough variety in her diet, as well clean, whole foods, I have learned to be extremely creative and patient.  These two things are critical.   Sometimes it's simple, and just a matter of not offering something for a few days, before then trying again. But then there are the days when nothing I put in front of her is appealing....

Putting that patience and creativity to the test, here are some simple things that work for our family:

Help with Meal Prep:

Nya likes to feel a part of what I'm doing. When she's able to contribute in some way to the meal, she's much more likely to eat it.  This can be VERY challenging with little ones because we tend to be in a rush to get the meal going (amongst the hundred other things we have going on).  I understand this...and if you're not in the right mindset, this idea can end up backfiring, as you both get upset and frustrated.  Take a deep breath, step back, and realize your little one is just curiously learning and exploring his/her worth in the world. By letting them help prepare the meals, it builds your child's confidence and justifies their capability of what they're able to do.

I allow Nya to help me get the meals going, whether it be pouring ingredients, holding measuring cups, or stirring.  She's still so little and can't do too much, but she does do what she can.  Last night, I made sticky black rice, and Nya scooped the rice into the rice cooker for me (I had to guess on measurements and eyeball what she had scooped in, but it made all the difference in the world to her, which in turn, made things easier for me.)

She Chooses the Food:

For most snacks and some meals, I allow Nya to pick out her food.  I will take her to the fridge or freezer, and give her choices of what she can have.  Sometimes it's something so simple as almond butter or peanut butter.  But by offering Nya a choice, she feels that she has some say in what she eats.  This always works for us (so far!), because she isn't going to eat something that she didn't pick out.  Make sure not to have options in front of them that you don't want them choosing, because that could turn into a nightmare when you say, "No". 

Food From My Plate:

Nya eats what I eat, and vice versa.  (This will help you clean up your eating in a big way!)  I don't make anything that I'm not comfortable feeding Nya, so if she's refusing to eat what's on her plate, I'm happy to give her what's on mine.  And she's happy to accept.  Sometimes I will prepare a plate of food for Nya that she wanted, until she sees what I'm having and decides she just has to have that.  So, giving her some of my food ends up solving the problem quickly and easily.  This works especially well when out at restaurants or a friend's house.

She Feeds Me:

This can sometimes be very unappetizing as Nya has mixed all her food together and what is left is a piece of sweet potato covered in banana and blueberry juice.  Yet she loves to take on the caretaker roll, and feed me as I have done for her.  I like to think she's just being sweet, but sometimes I think she just wants to see if it's something I will eat before she puts it in her own mouth.  It's usually just one or two bites that she will offer me, so I eat them willingly and with much enthusiasm.  Nya gets the biggest smile and excitedly chows down on her food.  Hey, whatever works.

Offering me her food, straight from the hand...
Adult Utensils:

This seems really silly, but sometimes all it takes for Nya to eat, is switching up her utensils.  She prefers to eat with the same fork or spoon I'm using, and recently, no longer wants to drink milk from a sippy cup. I had tried making many different kinds of milk, even adding dates to sweeten them; but nothing.  Exasperated, I poured the same milk she refused from a sippy cup into a plastic mason jar (similar to what I use but small and made for children), and she drank it right up.

Eating Watermelon with her "Big Girl" Utensils

These are a few things that Nya always enjoys, and they are packed with enough nutrients that I'm comfortable allowing her to eat if all else fails.

Smoothies: I make one almost every day, and Nya LOVES them.  I use about 60% greens (spinach or kale) and 40% frozen or fresh fruit (as much variety as possible).  I also add nuts (for extra fat and protein), chia seed (fiber, essential fatty acids, calcium, protein, and tons of extra vitamins), and coconut water (hydration, B vitamins, and amino acids).  If I feel she's needing extra fat and calories, I will use nut milk or coconut milk.
Smoothie from the "Big Girl" cup...no more sippies.
"Ice Cream": It's rare that Nya won't eat this, and it can be made using any fruit combination.  I've recently starting adding frozen beets in with a berry mixture and it gives a beautiful rich color, and doesn't change the taste whatsoever.  I always keep ripe bananas, cooked beets, and fresh fruit in the freezer so I can toss together Yonanas ice cream at any time.  I haven't experimented with other veggies yet!

Beet, Banana, Cherry, Strawberry, and blueberry "Ice Cream"

Popsicles: Another all time favorite of Nya's, and I usually make them from leftover smoothies.  These are especially great during teething time, when Nya's appetite is naturally lower.  I'm ok with her eating a few throughout the day because they are complete meals packed into a frozen treat that feel good on her sore gums.

Adopting some of these strategies can be hard, because it forces you to realize that your little baby is not such a little baby anymore.  They're growing up and asserting their independence in this world.  By offering some freedom of choice in certain areas, you can save yourself from temper tantrums in others.

Good luck on this journey, and remember that your child is just asserting his/her new found independence.  If you can remain calm and get inspired, you might enjoy watching this independent little personality develop.

To connect with others in this crazy journey called life, discover new parenting ideas and fun DIY projects, learn about holistic remedies, and find whole food plant based recipes, please visit our Facebook page Loving Green at Loving Green FB.

No comments:

Post a Comment