Search This Blog

Saturday, November 8, 2014

Split Pea, Lentil, and Veggie Soup

We somehow managed to bypass fall and move straight into winter. With this colder weather and these darker nights, I have been craving hot soups and stews. I recently picked up some fresh fennel at the market, and wanted to use it up. Embarrassingly, I have never cooked with fresh fennel before, but soup sounded like the right place to start.

I used up veggies I had on hand, and added the green split peas and lentils for variety, extra protein, and fiber. The split peas and lentils are also what tie everything together, creating a soup with thicker consistency. I wasn't sure exactly what I was creating when I started out, but I absolutely loved what it turned into! 

This recipe is super easy,can be made ahead, or even prepared in the crock pot or pressure cooker. It can also be changed based on the veggies you happen to have on hand. Want to use sweet potato instead of red potatoes? No problem! Need to get rid of some broccoli? Use it!

I don't typically add salt because I'm trying not to pass on my salt addiction to Nya, so use it to your liking! (I always add it to my bowl later!)


What you need:
  • 1 large onion, chopped
  • 1 - 2 fresh fennel bulbs, chopped
  • 20 cloves fresh garlic, minced or chopped (can sub 3 tsp garlic powder)
  • 10 - 12 small red potatoes, chopped into cubes
  • 2 medium zucchini, chopped in thick halves
  • 4 medium carrots, peeled and sliced
  • 28 oz fire roasted tomatoes, diced (can also use 1.5 c fresh diced tomatoes)
  • 1.5 cup chopped greens (I used kale, spinach, and chard)
  • 1/2 c green split peas, uncooked
  • 1/2 c red lentils, uncooked
  • 3 Tbsp cumin
  • 1 Tbsp turmeric
  • 1 Tbsp thyme
  • 1 - 2 tsp red pepper flakes 
  • Salt and pepper to taste

What you do:

1. In a large pot, add veggie broth, onion, fennel, and garlic, and cook on medium for  5 minutes.

2. Add potatoes and cook an additional 5 minutes on medium heat.

3. Add remaining veggies and tomatoes, cover, and cook on low heat for 5 minutes.

4. Add green split peas, red lentils, cumin, turmeric, thyme. red pepper flakes, salt and pepper and cook, covered, on low for about 15 - 20 minutes, until lentils have nearly dissolved.

* If using a crock pot, add all ingredients and cook on low heat for 4 - 6 hours. If using a pressure cooker, add all ingredients and cook on high for about 15 - 20 minutes. 

5. Serve and enjoy! Makes about 12 servings. (I freeze half!)

Why these foods?




More Soup and Stew Favorites...

To connect with others in this crazy journey of life, discover new parenting ideas & fun DIY projects, learn about holistic remedies, & find whole food plant based recipes, please visit our Facebook page Loving Green at Loving Green FB.

No comments:

Post a Comment