Search This Blog

Wednesday, July 23, 2014

Life Changing Spinach Artichoke Dip

Seriously, this dip really was life changing for me. Why? Because before this, I wondered how I would ever live life without dairy.


I had been vegetarian my entire life, but made the switch to ditch all animal products when my daughter was born (read more here). When I first gave up dairy, I did it for health reasons, and I still craved and wanted cheese. I thought Greek yogurt was healthy and "necessary for my diet", as I had so often been told. I simply couldn't imagine what I'd eat without dairy.

Enter cashews... They quickly became my best friend on this plant based journey, and I use them all the time in creating creamy/cheesy recipes like lasagna, spreadable soft cheese (think cream cheese) and my feel good cheese sauce. Cashews come from the earth, have naturally occurring vitamins and minerals (as opposed to synthetic ones added to dairy products), are not processed, and you don't have to worry about growth hormones or antibiotics (among other things, as you do with dairy). Not to mention, over 50 million Americans and nearly two thirds of the world's population has some form of milk allergy (Center for Food Allergies).

This spinach artichoke dip allows you to enjoy a favorite comfort food without feeling sick or bloated, and it's made from whole foods.

I've simplified this recipe from Dreena Burton at Plant Powered Kitchen to keep it clean, easy, and delicious. It is a MUST try, and better than any spinach and artichoke dip I've ever had. I make it when I'm craving something creamy and comforting, and it's the perfect food for entertaining guests. Even my dairy eating friends love it!

We like it warm, but it can also served cold as bread bowl or as a sandwich spread. Serve it with fresh veggies, artisan bread, or homemade tortilla chips. I served this to my little one shortly after she began eating solid foods because it's made from whole food ingredients, and packed with nutrients such as healthy fats and iron.

You and your family can eat all of the food that you desire; the trick is learning how to create the clean option using whole foods; not low or fat free processed ones.

What you need:

2 cups raw cashews

3 cups water

10 cloves garlic

1 large or 2 small lemons

2 tsp ground mustard

Sea salt and pepper to taste

4 cups frozen or jarred artichokes (make sure they are not soaked in oil or a marinade)

4 cups loosely packed spinach

What you do:

1. Preheat oven to 425 degrees.

2. In a high speed blender or food processor, combine everything but the spinach and artichokes (cashews, water, ground mustard, garlic, lemon, salt, and pepper) and blend until smooth.

3. Add the spinach and artichokes and pulse to incorporate, making sure to keep some texture (Do not fully blend!).

4. Transfer to an oven proof baking dish and bake for about 30 minutes.

Enjoy!

PIN IT FOR LATER: http://www.pinterest.com/pin/61361613648033046/

To connect with others in this crazy journey of life, discover new parenting ideas & fun DIY projects, learn about holistic remedies, & find whole food plant based recipes, please visit our Facebook page Loving Green at Loving Green FB.

No comments:

Post a Comment